Friday, March 22, 2013

Best Non-Dairy Ricotta Substitute that I have ever made

As I am writing this post I am eating a ricotta and sweet potato sandwich (pictures to follow). The ricotta is vegan and easy easy to make. The only unusual ingredient that turns ho-him extra firm tofu and raw cashews into a wonderful ricotta substitute is Nutritional Yeast. I included pictures and its nutritional facts below.

Now for the recipe:

1 tube of extra firm tofu-16oz (make sure soybeans are non-GMO!)
1/2 a cup of raw cashews soaked for 1 hour in hot water, drain water
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 tsp of italian seasoning or dried herbs of choice
1/3 curly leaf parsley bunch stems removed and minced
1 tbsp of grapeseed or olive oil
2 tbsp of water
1/2 tsp of salt
1/8-1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (add more or less depending on your preference)
Freshly ground pepper
Juice of 1 lemon

Combine ingredients in food processor until resembling picture below of blended cashew-tofu ricotta.
** If no food processor smash cashews in a plastic bag until finely crumbled, stir with hand crumbled tofu, and other ingredients. Marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour to overnight, this should keep for 3-5 days. I
I use this for lasagne, on toast as a sandwich spread, and if I ever made stuffed shells I would also use this.
**For a soy free alternative use 1 1/2- 2 cups of raw cashews instead. And you will probably need a food processor to combine all ingredients.

Check out the nutritional facts for nutritional yeast which are quite impressive. I really hope you will make this as an dairy free alternative to cow's milk ricotta cheese.

***this recipe is inspired by one recipe I tried at OhSheGlows and Fatfreevegan. Both blogs I follow and love.












No comments:

Post a Comment